My Life of What Ifs

Monday, February 22, 2010

Music Memory Monday

Against the Wind

Let's get back to basics.  Another memory from my JamsBio vault.

You Remember Uncle Joe

I'm from Michigan and I love Bob Seger. Growing up in the 70's &
80's Bob Seger was huge in our house. My parents belonged to a 4-wheel drive club and I vividly remember hearing Against the Wind on 8 track. A lot.


Honestly as a kid I didn't give Bob Seger much thought. I'm not sure why. I loved music but Seger didn't really resonate with me until my senior year. Every other weekend my Aunt and Uncle played in a Euchre club and I used to babysit for my cousins. My Uncle owned a bar and had recently replaced the bar's jukebox with a newer model. He brought the old one home and put it in his basement. It was an awesome finished basement with a big screen TV and stereo speakers all around, quite innovative for 1989. Once the kids were in bed I would go down there and play song after song on that jukebox, but the one I always came back to was Fire Lake. The guitar strumming at the beginning gives me chills. I feel like it tells a story similar to those long days out with my parents and their friends with their trucks on the beach, everyone always seemed to be having the best time.

I guess to certain ears there is nothing spectacular about Seger, but the way he sings a story reminds me so much of my childhood. I wouldn't trade those memories for anything.
Stacy

1 comment:

Luigi | UPrinting said...

I have those moments too. Sometimes my friends act so surprised when I sing old songs. I say I'm an old soul. The truth is that old songs reminds me so much of my childhood. Because of that, I appreciate songs even not from my generation.