My Life of What Ifs

Sunday, January 3, 2010

"Don't we have any good cereal?"


If you could only hear the whining sound that comes from the mouths of my daughters when they're unhappy.  If you have children of your own I'm sure you don't want to hear my kids, because you've probably had enough of the whine and cheese that comes from your own offspring.

One of the things my girls often complain about it that there is no "good" cereal in our house.  Plain old Cheerios or Chex just doesn't make for good tastin' morning vittles in the eyes of my two little princesses.

Ok, I should probably admit I prefer breakfast cereal with a little built in sugar too, and if chocolate is the sugar source then all the better.  So I was pretty happy when General Mills announced their committment to further reduce sugar in cereals advertised to kids under 12 to single digit grams of sugar.  And as they continue to reduce sugar in cereals they are also increasing key nutrients such as calcium, vitamin D, and providing more whole grains.  So I can buy Cinnamon Toast Crunch and feel a tad less guilty by knowing that the sugar content could be... worse.

Honestly, I know that my kids fair better when they have breakfast.  They have more energy just walking to the bus stop, so if Trix and Lucky Charms do the trick, then I am happy, and if those cereals have less sugar then that is a bonus.

General Mills has a whole webpage dedicated to the benefits of cereal, so you don't need me to go into any more detail.  Just know that there is nothing wrong with a bowl of Cocoa Puffs to get you through your morning, or my case a bedtime snack.  And God Bless the person who turned Reese's peanut butter cups into puff form and called it cereal.

General Mills provided me with free product through MyBlogSpark.com.  My opinions of their products and the benefits of breakfast are mine and mine alone.
Stacy

No comments: