My Life of What Ifs

Monday, August 16, 2010

Music Memory Monday

A fine memory from Central Michigan University.  Fire up Chips!


You've got to be kidding me

My first semester away at college I was unfortunate enough to have an 8 am class two days a week.  To add insult to injury it was a grammar class.  So on those days I would drag myself out of bed, make myself as presentable as possible and go grab something to eat before class.

Please Don't GoAs you can imagine the cafeteria population was sparse at that hour and I usually sat alone with a bowl of cereal.  I was never sure if the radio seemed loud because there were so few people in the room at that time or if they purposely cranked it up at that awful hour to keep themselves awake.

The radio was always tuned to the local Top 40 station in our college town, and as is the case with many Top 40 stations they play the Top 40 songs.  Over and over again.  At this time Please Don't Go by KWS was very popular and for a period of a few weeks it came on at the exact same time every morning.  At least every Tuesday and Thursday morning when I was eating my bowl of cereal.

At first I questioned my sanity.  Could this really be happening?  Am I imagining it?  But after hearing it for the 7th or 8th morning it became ridiculous, and I would catch myself saying out loud "you've got to be kidding me!"  I have to say I wasn't a fan of this song before this happened. It's very repetitive and impossible to get out of your head.  But after this, the song annoyed me even more.

My husband has all of the MTV party-to-go CDs and Please Don't Go is on one of them.  Every time I hear it I am instantly transported back to the Robinson dining hall, sitting alone with my bowl of frosted flakes.  Extremely annoyed.
Stacy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sorry, Stacy. I really like this song!

I have to say, the reason I met my husband is because he had a grammar class early, too. However, he failed it (due to being late too many times) and had to retake it his senior year. Guess who was in that class?? Thanks for the double-memory-jogger!

Bridgette (from TBA)