My Life of What Ifs

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Some things do change...

I admit I had a pretty definite opinion of freezer convenience foods.

After all, I worked full time in an office for over twelve years.  There are days you will not be able to get out at lunch so it was very common to see a stockpile of Lean Cuisines and the like piled high in the office freezer with names scribbled on them with a Sharpie.

But when I left my job in November of 2008, I knew I would never eat one of those things again.  I didn't have to.  I worked at home, where there are many things in the kitchen to choose from, and I don't have to label anything with a Sharpie.

But this month I am taking all 31 days to plan my direction.  I am not resolving anything, I am simply researching my options for exercise, food ideas, vitamins, and other similar topics.

Interestingly enough I was asked to try out Lean Cuisine and Skinny Cow products.  Ugh.  Really?  Sante Fe Rice and Beans?  Chicken Alfredo?  yay.

What I found when I got to the store was that the section had grown a little.  OK, a lot.  By about five freezer doors.  Comfort cuisine.  Casual cuisine.  Steams Fresh varieties.  Holy Salisbury steak!  (Which I could never eat in the frozen-microwaved form, sorry.)  I grabbed the ones that looked the tastiest and went over to the ice cream aisle.


The Skinny Cow section had not grown at all, but I found that the ice cream sandwiches, my favorite, came in about 6-8 different varieties.  I went with Cookies & Cream and called it a day.


When I prepared and ate these items later in the week I was very pleased with the quality.  The "Steams Fresh" chicken stir fry was very tasty and very filling.  So was the Chicken Alfredo.  The Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches are huge!  And, my family ate five of them before I had one!  I'm really surprised I didn't pull an empty container from the freezer.  Don't laugh, it's happened before.

As far as the Lean Cuisines I did enjoy them.  Will I stockpile them and have them for lunch everyday?  I'm sorry to say- no.  But I will keep one or two around for the days when I need to eat something before I hop on a conference call, or for when I need to eat fast, and I will try many varieties not the same two all the time.

So another learning experience for my 31 days of January.  Thanks to Rebecca for reminding me after my last post that I have a Wii Fit which can provide a great exercise option.  Duh, I can't believe I forgot that!

More check-ins at Walmart Supercenter #4584
Powered by Whrrl

Disclosure:  I was compensated by Collective Bias for this shop and post.  All thoughts and opinions of this product are mine and mine alone.
Stacy

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

Big grins here! I got a mention in the famous Stacy's post!

If you find a good Wii Fit workout routine, let me know! I like what I'm doing but I'm still fine tuning and like changing up. Weighing tomorrow so send good thoughts!!

Sandy Jenney - Organize with Sandy said...

I think sometimes we conveniently forget anything that has to do with exercise! lol
Thanks for pointing out the coupon that peels off at Walmart.